I spent a lot of time researching the gastric sleeve surgery because gastric bypass just sounded way more invasive.
This is what I discovered:
- They remove more than 50% of your stomach
- The smaller stomach makes you feel full faster
- It is not reversible
- You can have dumping syndrome from eating too much, this can cause you to feel very sick
- You can not drink and eat at the same time after
- You usually have to be on a liquid diet for 1-3 weeks before surgery and will be on liquids then soft solids for about 1 month after
- Taking vitamins is NOT optional
That is just a little bit of what I researched, there is so much more but I don’t want to bore you with too many details.
The surgery itself has approximately the same risk factor as a gall bladder removal surgery or a hysterectomy. So I think that the risks seem to be minimal, I have had a hysterectomy and it really wasn’t that big of a deal.
Before I can make a final decision I decide to talk to my husband, kids, parents and friends. I can not have this surgery with out support from my friends and family.
I talk to my husband first and he is supportive as I knew he would be, he tells me “you need to do whatever you need for you” and already I feel a little better about my decision. Next I tell a few close friends they are all listen to me explain the surgery and why I think I should have it and how miserable I have been in this body, they ask some questions and all are supportive. Now I talk to my kids, they both basically say we love you the way you are and we don’t want you to have surgery (so sweet). I explain to them why although I don’t have health problems now that my weight will likely cause me health problems later and that I am just not happy, now they are on board (although worried). Lastly I tell my parents, not because they are not important but none of them were in the city when I made my decision and I wanted to discuss it face to face if possible (I ended up telling my dad over the phone), they were all concerned but supportive.
My decision, I WILL have the gastric sleeve surgery. I think this is going to be the best option for me to lose the weight and keep it off so that I can have a long healthy life.
I have not made this decision lightly, I know that my whole life is going to change and that I will have to change my eating habits for good. There is no going back to eating fast food and shoving my face with salty, sugary and highly fatty foods.
It’s scary to think that I will have to change my lifestyle so drastically.
- I am scared that I will fail to lose the weight even with surgery
- I am scared of the recovery from surgery
- I am scared of the plastic surgery I may need to have as a result of excess skin from being so heavy for so long
- I am scared of what people will think of me for having this surgery.
Next step finish my classes and make an appointment with the nurse at the clinic so I can get on the wait list.